Thursday 20 August 2009

In Memory of Johnjoe

Todays post is for my best friend in the whole world Julie.
Tonight at 7.30pm she faces the awful task of watching one of her beloved greyhounds Johnjoe be put to sleep.
I have known Julie most of my life...from the age of 11 and we have stuck together through thick and thin...through all the heartaches and through all the happy times like the birth of our children etc.
Johnjoe is one of 5 greyhounds she has at home...all retired racers. And i think Im right in saying he's one of her favourites.
Greyhounds are such gentle dogs...they hardly bark and are so easy to handle.
There are so many of them sitting in retirement kennels awaiting a home and they are the lucky ones..many end up being put to sleep or thrown out etc by owners and trainers who no longer can make money out of them.
My thoughts will be with her tonight when she has to do that one thing I hope never to have to do.........
x

1 comment:

  1. Oh Debbie - my geart goes out to your friend Julie. It is a heartbreaking decision to have to make - but often the only one; when there is no hope of recovery from illness or the quality of life for the animal is such that constant pain is faced everyday. Johnjoe looks a magnificent animal, so elegant and proud. He was saved by Julie from an awful existence as a retired racer, surplus to requirements in their money-orientated world. Julie saved him and he lived out his remaining years in a loving home with a family who cared about him and his four companions - that's what matters most.
    Jeanne x

    PS I don't know whether Julie remembers me from when you were children, but please give her my condolences.

    ReplyDelete